I love the Named Clothing Inari dress I made at Easter, so I followed up with a totally un-customised, straight from the pattern Inari Tee.
It’s in Nani Iro double gauze with lovely pearlescent dots which I got (for free! First competition I’ve ever won, and the most I’ve ever wanted to win sonething) from Miss Matatabi (much more from this generous haul to follow).
I love it, it’s great with my high waisted skirts and smart trousers at the office; but at the same time it’s too short to wear casually unless I get / make some high waisted jeans. So I’m going to make more of these, but a bit longer. Watch this space!
I cut this dress out way back in April and quickly got it about three-quarter done. But then my Masters exam started looming so it was put aside. Last week, I did my exam, and a few hours of the bank holiday weekend were fruitfully directed towards completing this glorious garment.
It’s a Named Clothing Reeta dress, in Nani Iro linen which I bought with some reward vouchers from work at John Lewis. I’m pretty delighted that John Lewis has started to stock Nani Iro.
And this dress! It’s so stunning! I’m in love. The weather has been humid and hot and this dress has been a godsend. I love the length, the comfiness, the way it flows about my legs. It’s the perfect summer dress.
My two sewing passions right now are Nani Iro fabrics and Named Clothing patterns.
I bought the pattern for the ubiquitous Named Clothing Inari Tee at the new Ray-Stitch shop a few months back. I want to make at least half a dozen of these tees in Nani Iro double gauze for my summer work wardrobe, but first – a dress!
I added a gathered skirt. In my usual way with these Japanese fabrics, I just used the full width (selvedge to selvedge) to avoid raw edges. It’s such narrow fabric that it just makes sense.
The fabric was from one of my favourite online shops, M is for Make.
A few months ago I was exploring perfect, charming, magical Stoke Newington and came across a sweet knitting and stationery shop, Of Cabbages and Kings. I bought a skein of Hedgehog Fibres sock weight yarn in “zephyr”.
The yarn was just too pretty to knit an exciting sock. I think of this as vanilla with sprinkles.
The pattern was self drafted (although socks of this type are all much alike). I started with a provisional cast on, knit in rib for about an inch then had a row of k2tog, yo, and then knit another inch. Folded over, this made a lovely picot cuff with enough elasticity to stay up.
I just love them!
I’ve occupied my room in the attic since I got home from university to find a loft conversion had taken place, so for rather a lot of years at this point I have not had any curtains on my skylights. In the winter this isn’t a problem, but in the summer I get more and more haggard with sleep deprivation from waking up at 4am with the sunrise.
A few weeks back I had a very exciting trip to Ikea, which involved eating chicken meatballs (they’re actually better than the classic) and a Daim cake. I also, on a whim, bought a tablecloth because I liked the nasturtium pattern so much.
My mum wasn’t so keen on the tablecloth, and at any rate the household is too slovenly to use anything other than oilcloth. So when the opportunity arose, I hacked my tablecloth into… two special skylight-shaped roman blinds and a pair of matching seat cushions for my new (well, new for me) Yngve Ekstrom circle chairs.
Extra bits of haberdashery and blackout fabric came from Ray Stitch (my first trip to their lovely new shop!), structural coat hangers were stolen from my mum’s closet.
Just before my birthday, Tiger was selling cheap balsa wood expanding craft boxes for £6. My mum took a hint, so it duly arrived on a tabletop in front of me on my birthday, and I spent the next several weeks spreading paper, glue and spray paint around the house.
Here’s the result of my first decoupage:
I used Rifle Paper Co wrapping paper which I bought at Selfridges. It took forever to cut out, and actually, I think cheap wrapping paper might work better with decoupage as this was a bit thick. But it is so pretty…
This little box now holds all my zippers, sewing machine feet, thimble and machine needles. Pretty and practical!
Did anyone else watch Polka Dot Shorts on TVO in the early nineties? Probably not because I’m one of the only Canadians I know. Anyway, when I finished these shorts that’s all I could think about. I actually watched a whole episode on Youtube after finishing these (Ode to Bibble – I rather enjoyed it), and my sense of unease that these shorts are a) humungous and b) comical has not dissipated at all.
Anyway, here they are:
More lovely Rae Ritchie raccoon fabric, the same stuff I made my robe out of. I used the free Simplicity pattern 0501, which I think is no longer around on the internet but I thankfully had a copy saved to my computer. It’s not a great pattern (no side seams = no chance of pockets) but I’ve used and modified it once before to make my own sloth pyjamas.
Fingers crossed these things actually fit the birthday boy… At any rate, they should generate some laughs.
After giving, I took about 6 inches off of these. Here are the new, sensible-length shorts: