When I was in Canada this summer my aunt gave me a whole stack of fabrics from my Grannie’s collection. Mostly tawdry non-Liberty lawn, but there was this quite jolly striped furnishing fabric which I though might be nice for some (more) cushion covers.
On taking it out of my suitcase back in England, I discovered it had already been cut out into an apron shape, of rather generous proportions. My Grannie being, at the time, a rather large ginger lady masquerading as an artist (hence the need for an apron).
I finally set to it one Sunday morning before breakfast, and had a serviceable apron tied onto my person in time for the mandatory English cuppa.
I slimmed it down a bit around the neckline and decided to add sunny yellow seam-binding; but otherwise left it mostly as my grandmother intended. The side/vertical edges are selvedges, so no hemming needed. And the seam binding is one long piece – from one apron string, along one side, neck string, down the other side, and then into the other apron string.
Most importantly, it has earned the Greymalkin seal of approval.
It still needs a pocket rather desperately, but I am waiting until the right scrap of fabric falls into my clutches. And if all else fails, there’s always the option of foxes…