Corb quilt

Merry Christmas! Now I can finally talk about my main project for the past few months, because the paper has been torn off and the gift given.

In November my dad turned 70 (!) and so I decided to make him the most epic Christmas-birthday combo gift ever (at least, as epic as my mum’s Girasole).

My dad, like my mum, was an architect. But whereas my mum prefers Art-and-Crafts styles, colour and patterns, my dad was always interested in things like Mannerism and Modernism. There’s a print of a painting by Le Corbusier that has hung in his study for as long as I can remember (it’s called The Red Violin and there’s a pic of it here).

I started to do some research into the rules of proportion developed by Corb in his Modulor (as in, I asked my friend Laurence who knows everything about architecture) and decided to make a quilt following the Modulor system (or – as far as I could do within the constraints of easy quilting; i.e whole numbers!). Here’s the final result:

image

It needs a bit more quilting within the blocks; but for now this is enough. I see myself doing a little bit more each time I visit my dad.

Here’s the Modulor Man, in Corb’s system and in my quilt:

Le Corbusier Modulor

image

Choosing the colours was a disaster – I bought a full set of 5 colours of Kona cotton (paprika, ash, eggplant, seafoam, herb) at the Village Haberdashery months and months ago, but they never really seemed to work together. With time getting tight, I finally decided in early November just to start from scratch with the colours, and bought the colour ways you see in the quilt. I am so glad I did. The banding and borders are in organic chambray from Ray-Stitch. The backing is an old bedsheet which I dyed terracotta.

A lot of drawing, maths, photoshop and fun with paper and scissors went into designing the quilt. But having done all the working out up front (right down to most efficient cutting layouts!), the piecing was dream. I pieced the blocks over the course of two evenings; joined them with the banding and borders on a Saturday and quilted to the wadding and backing on Sunday, plus machined in the front side of the binding. The next week I spent most evenings curled up in bed under the quilt, watching Detectorists and hand sewing in all 7.5 metres of the binding on the back, with help from my glamorous assistant.

corb quilt assistant

I am so happy with this quilt! It turned out exactly as I hoped.

image

image

image

image

Advertisements

1 thought on “Corb quilt”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s