I’ve been knitting this sweater since forever, by which I mean, April or May this year. It’s enormous. But then, it’s for a giant.
I am not a giant. I’m a normal-sized person. Thankfully my stepdad was a better model than me!
This is the Vika sweater by Brooklyn Tweed. I obviously ended up making up (unintentionally) the central cable motif, but at least I was wrong consistently. The main thing here is the yarn. It’s phenomenal. It’s Studio Donegal Aran Tweed, and I got a 2kg cone of it for around £80 from Springwools. So that works out as like £45 for what I used for this gigantic creation – much better than the roughly £400 it would have been using the suggested yarn! And this Donegal yarn is some of the best I’ve ever worked with – I’ve been looking at all the other colours and trying to decide what to make next.
I will say that the pattern was very hard to follow, despite being relatively easy knitting. It was written in such a way that it kept tripping me up; very verbose and confusing. Anyway, I got there in the end – but it was frustrating, especially considering the cost of the pattern.
A few months ago I was exploring perfect, charming, magical Stoke Newington and came across a sweet knitting and stationery shop, Of Cabbages and Kings. I bought a skein of Hedgehog Fibres sock weight yarn in “zephyr”.
The yarn was just too pretty to knit an exciting sock. I think of this as vanilla with sprinkles.
The pattern was self drafted (although socks of this type are all much alike). I started with a provisional cast on, knit in rib for about an inch then had a row of k2tog, yo, and then knit another inch. Folded over, this made a lovely picot cuff with enough elasticity to stay up.
I just love them!
Too many photos for one post! Here are the rest.
So now that it’s March 2017 I should probably have already posted about all the crafting that kept me occupied up to Christmas. Last year I did individual posts for each item (!). This year it’s too high a hurdle for me, as evidenced by my already infrequent blogging.
En bref, Christmas 2016:
- 1 duffel bag
- 2 baable hats
- 8 zip pouches
- 1 fleecy bonnet
- 1 fleecy raccoon gilet
- 2 eye patches
- 2 scrunchies
- 1 knitted scarf
- 1 lavender sachet
- 1 tote bag
Here are some pictures:
Note: WOW it’s been four months since I last posted, and this has been sitting in my drafts folder since November. I’ll publish this post and another from October (blushes), and then be free to move forwards into the third month of 2017!
It’s starting to get a bit chilly and that means it’s time for my dad’s birthday.
This year he got super warm, super practical boot socks.
I used the Hermione’s Everyday Socks free pattern on Ravelry, adapting it to the gauge and size I wanted. I like this pattern a lot – very easy to remember for commute knitting, and pleasing to look at and touch.
The main yarn is some old Rowan Purelife I found lying around and the cuffs, heels and toes are in a superwash merino.
After making Mr Donk I had some yarn left over. I’ve admired Donna Smith’s Baa-ble Hat pattern for some time, so stocked up on extra colours of Rowan felted tweed DK and set to work.
I adjusted the pattern for the thinner yarn by casting on 120 stitches in the first place, thereby neatly avoiding the increase at the top of the ribbing.
I’m obsessed with these colours. My mum wants one too, but I’ll have to find new colour combinations. I think I’ll have a flock of these hats soon enough.
To get me through the summer I’ve had a sort of project plan, or rather two: one for sewing and one for knitting. The sewing plan is so horribly behind schedule that I now need to abandon it, to make way for winter sewing and Christmas production. But even so, I’ve completed a couple of things on it that I’m really proud of and it’s helped to focus my mind and prioritise a bit.
The knitting plan however, I have completed! Woohoo! On 30 August, one day early, I cast off and blocked my final piece. This was despite a major setback, namely, being distracted by other pretties…
In Toronto in July I bought some gorgeous Koigu yarn at Ewe Knit with a voucher from my aunt. It was just too tempting to throw myself in, so I threw caution to the wind, sidestepped my carefully planned schedule, and cast on a pair of Thornfield Socks.
I was initially worried that the yarn variegation and the cables wouldn’t get on very well, but I think these have turned out beautifully, particularly after blocking (with new sock blockers from the Wool Croft!).
Probably everyone but me already knew about Rachel Coopey’s incredible sock patterns, but when I discovered her stall at Wonderwool this winter I was smitten. This is the first design of hers I’ve made, and I love them.
So anyway, back to the project plan. The socks I completed on 30 August were these Arrow Socks by Makiho Negishi.
I still don’t think my stranded knitting is perfect, and I wish I’d used the yellow as the top colour rather than the white when carrying floats, but all in all I’m pretty pleased with myself! Two Japanese patterns with no English help completed in one summer. Not bad.