Throne of the Button King

I finally (three years later…) got round to making a cover for the papasan chair.

This was my throne, my nest, and my cocoon at university, but Rune has commandeered it now. And it is FILTHY with the dirt of his mucky paws and unkempt fur. So high time for a cover, which I whipped up in half an hour last night on the overlocker / sewing machine.

It has a zip to get the cushion in (and out). The zip was from a crazy haberdasher in North Finchley, called “Finishing Touches” (or somesuch) where they also had a huge box of discontinued sewing patterns at £1 apiece! Needless to say I got seven…

Anyway. The throne:

image

The fabric (and the rug, evidently!) is from Ikea.

image

Rune inspects my handiwork.

image

image

It passed the test!

Advertisements

End of summer

So now that it’s the end of summer, when better to make a yellow floral miniskirt?

I used my Garmenter skirt pattern, and the Nora tutorial – but went for a high waist and slightly less pencil-silouhette. 

I am so proud of this skirt 🙂 From the drafting-it-mself, to the fully finished seams, the pockets, the full lining, and most of all the wonderful Liberty stretch twill, in my favourite Tresco print. And the zipper is pretty invisible too, considering I have the wrong foot on my sewing machine.

image

image

image

image

image

image

Anti Loom

So loom bands are apparently popular this year. Since I don’t feel like buying various bits of plastic gizmo to create them, I’ve decided to rebel against them with embroidery floss, harnessing skills unused since the early noughties.

My quest has been aided by the discovery of my step-grandmother’s haberdashery stash. The colours are all a bit twee though…

image

Disgusted by the colours available, I went out to The Workroom on Queen Street West in Toronto, and bought some glorious byzantine colours.

image

Result:

image

image

The Tulgy Woods

As mentioned in my last post, I made a dress. It’s just taken ages for me to post it…

image

image

The pattern was the marvellous Christine Haynes Emery dress, with a few alterations.

Firstly, mine is a  lightweight summer dress so I didn’t do lining anywhere.

image

Secondly, I ditched the back zip and replaced it with buttons.

image

And finally, I altered the neckline and gave it a scooped back.

image

image

Sadly I have been shrinking recently, so the dress is a rather loose fit at the moment. Seems to work OK with a belt though. I evidently am not consuming enough icecream.

The fabric is Liberty tana lawn, in the design “Branchflower”. I completely adore it. It’s like the woods the prince goes through to find the Jabberwocky, or the brambles he hacks his way through to get to the enchanted castle.
No dress would be complete without POCKETS!

image

Tableture

Miserably rainy bank holiday weekend could only mean one thing… Slaving away for 10 hours in front of the sewing machine! Fun times.

I finished a dress (next post probably, when I’ve ironed it) and also made this:

Tablet case

And this:

Headphones case

En bref: matching tablet and headphones case in Liberty Elevenses fabric.

For the headphones case I used this tutorial, but made up the pattern pieces because I couldn’t be bothered to download the one given. Seemed to work fine!

Earphones case Earphones case

And as for the tablet case, I made it up essentially. The hard innards are chopped out of some dense foam-board that I received as part of the packaging on a parcel at work, and smuggled home last week. The tana lawn is interfaced throughout, and the foam-board is covered in felt on the outer faces.

Tablet caseTablet case Tablet case Tablet case Tablet case Tablet case