Grannie’s apron strings

When I was in Canada this summer my aunt gave me a whole stack of fabrics from my Grannie’s collection. Mostly tawdry non-Liberty lawn, but there was this quite jolly striped furnishing fabric which I though might be nice for some (more) cushion covers.

On taking it out of my suitcase back in England, I discovered it had already been cut out into an apron shape, of rather generous proportions. My Grannie being, at the time, a rather large ginger lady masquerading as an artist (hence the need for an apron).

I finally set to it one Sunday morning before breakfast, and had a serviceable apron tied onto my person in time for the mandatory English cuppa.

Apron - front
Please excuse my excessive pyjamafication. It was cold that morning.

Apron - back

I slimmed it down a bit around the neckline and decided to add sunny yellow seam-binding; but otherwise left it mostly as my grandmother intended. The side/vertical edges are selvedges, so no hemming needed. And the seam binding is one long piece – from one apron string, along one side, neck string, down the other side, and then into the other apron string.

Most importantly, it has earned the Greymalkin seal of approval.

Greymalkin and apron

It still needs a pocket rather desperately, but I am waiting until the right scrap of fabric falls into my clutches. And if all else fails, there’s always the option of foxes…

IMG_8694
Sarah Watts for Blend Fabrics – Timber and Leaf – Fox Portrait in gold
Advertisements

Doodle

This week I’ve been plugging away at an utterly pointless crocheted doodle during my daily commute, between finishing Silas Marner and starting In Defence of Politics.

Made using a 1.25mm hook and Anchor linen crochet thread
Made using a 1.25mm hook and Anchor linen crochet thread

I’m slightly overexcited by how pretty it is; but it has absolutely no function whatsoever and William Morris would give me a telling-off. No matter – I’ve already started another.

I also thought, walking home from work past Big Ben, that it would be awesome to do a crocheted version of the clock face’s lattice-work. Whether or not to include the Roman numerals is the next debate…

 

Cats and cushion covers

For one reason and another I have recently ended up making lots of simple cushion covers.

This has pleased Greymalkin, my neighbour’s cat, immensely. (Nb. in real life Gremmie probably has some awful name like “Muffin” or “Snowball”; but when he hangs out with me he gets a noble title and Jellicle status to reflect this.)

Greymalkin

I started with a glance at this youtube tutorial for making very simple cushion covers, then sliced right into my utterly gorgeous feathered fabric. Twenty minutes later I had two exquisite little cushions for Greymalkin to loll on.

20131024_215422-1
Fabric: “Feathers” in olive from Martha Negley’s “Farmington” range.

Last night I was on a bit of a roll having just climbed a mountain, and dug out some scraps and swatches left from when I made the window seat cover to cobble together another cushion cover in a similar vein.

Greymalkin seems to like it!

IMG_8679

IMG_8670 IMG_8674 IMG_8680

Planting dragon’s teeth

So here we go: the rate at which I’m making things has exceeded the rate at which people on Facebook care; so now I have a blog through which to pour my compulsive makings into the void. In the last week alone I’ve knitted a scarf, sewn two ties, carved a pumpkin, and made several batches of muffins; all in my after-work hours. Hopefully blogging will slow the rate of creation down to something more manageable. On the other hand, this may feed my compulsion even more. We’ll see.