It seems like all I’m making at the moment is cushion covers. This isn’t actually true – I’m mostly making Christmas presents; but I’m not planning on inadvertently giving out spoilers with only 23 days left to go. As much as I am REALLY REALLY desperate to let the various cats out of their respective bags right now.
On Saturday evening, after a productive day spent making secret things, I settled down to making some cushion covers. I’ve previously used a slip-in design, but this time went for one with a zipper. I watched this amusing tutorial (the accent reminds me a little bit of a terrible film I watched the last ten minutes of the other day – I think it was called ‘Alligator Alley’. At any rate, it was a bunch of Louisiana-ian people using broom handles and molotov cocktails to fend off uncles and aunts who’d turned into large alligators with attractive glowing purple mouths) and then set to, using the simply delightful fabric my mum picked up from Ikea a few months ago.
I didn’t want to waste too much fabric on seam allowances, so one side is a fold instead of a seam. Nothing is quite square, but it doesn’t seem to matter too much. Mostly I’m just pleased to have found the fabric, which I lost almost immediately when it first came into my clutches. In fact it was exactly where it should have been. Months of peering under beds and getting up close and personal with the house’s resident dust bunnies to find it were in vain!
The cushions match the rug in my garret too, so everything is all rather jaunty now. And Rune is happy to have yet more things to rub his cat-grubbiness and utter adorableness off onto.
When I was in Canada this summer my aunt gave me a whole stack of fabrics from my Grannie’s collection. Mostly tawdry non-Liberty lawn, but there was this quite jolly striped furnishing fabric which I though might be nice for some (more) cushion covers.
On taking it out of my suitcase back in England, I discovered it had already been cut out into an apron shape, of rather generous proportions. My Grannie being, at the time, a rather large ginger lady masquerading as an artist (hence the need for an apron).
I finally set to it one Sunday morning before breakfast, and had a serviceable apron tied onto my person in time for the mandatory English cuppa.
I slimmed it down a bit around the neckline and decided to add sunny yellow seam-binding; but otherwise left it mostly as my grandmother intended. The side/vertical edges are selvedges, so no hemming needed. And the seam binding is one long piece – from one apron string, along one side, neck string, down the other side, and then into the other apron string.
Most importantly, it has earned the Greymalkin seal of approval.
It still needs a pocket rather desperately, but I am waiting until the right scrap of fabric falls into my clutches. And if all else fails, there’s always the option of foxes…
For one reason and another I have recently ended up making lots of simple cushion covers.
This has pleased Greymalkin, my neighbour’s cat, immensely. (Nb. in real life Gremmie probably has some awful name like “Muffin” or “Snowball”; but when he hangs out with me he gets a noble title and Jellicle status to reflect this.)
I started with a glance at this youtube tutorial for making very simple cushion covers, then sliced right into my utterly gorgeous feathered fabric. Twenty minutes later I had two exquisite little cushions for Greymalkin to loll on.
Last night I was on a bit of a roll having just climbed a mountain, and dug out some scraps and swatches left from when I made the window seat cover to cobble together another cushion cover in a similar vein.