Ikea hack

I’ve occupied my room in the attic since I got home from university to find a loft conversion had taken place, so for rather a lot of years at this point I have not had any curtains on my skylights. In the winter this isn’t a problem, but in the summer I get more and more haggard with sleep deprivation from waking up at 4am with the sunrise.

A few weeks back I had a very exciting trip to Ikea, which involved eating chicken meatballs (they’re actually better than the classic) and a Daim cake. I also, on a whim, bought a tablecloth because I liked the nasturtium pattern so much.

My mum wasn’t so keen on the tablecloth, and at any rate the household is too slovenly to use anything other than oilcloth. So when the opportunity arose, I hacked my tablecloth into… two special skylight-shaped roman blinds and a pair of matching seat cushions for my new (well, new for me) Yngve Ekstrom circle chairs.

Extra bits of haberdashery and blackout fabric came from Ray Stitch (my first trip to their lovely new shop!), structural coat hangers were stolen from my mum’s closet.

The blinds:

The cushions:

Advertisements

Throne of the Button King

I finally (three years later…) got round to making a cover for the papasan chair.

This was my throne, my nest, and my cocoon at university, but Rune has commandeered it now. And it is FILTHY with the dirt of his mucky paws and unkempt fur. So high time for a cover, which I whipped up in half an hour last night on the overlocker / sewing machine.

It has a zip to get the cushion in (and out). The zip was from a crazy haberdasher in North Finchley, called “Finishing Touches” (or somesuch) where they also had a huge box of discontinued sewing patterns at £1 apiece! Needless to say I got seven…

Anyway. The throne:

image

The fabric (and the rug, evidently!) is from Ikea.

image

Rune inspects my handiwork.

image

image

It passed the test!

More pillow talk

It seems like all I’m making at the moment is cushion covers. This isn’t actually true – I’m mostly making Christmas presents; but I’m not planning on inadvertently giving out spoilers with only 23 days left to go. As much as I am REALLY REALLY desperate  to let the various cats out of their respective bags right now.

IMG_8757
Cushion covers using Ikea Tastrup fabric and 45cm zippers

On Saturday evening, after a productive day spent making secret things, I settled down to making some cushion covers. I’ve previously used a slip-in design, but this time went for one with a zipper. I watched this amusing tutorial (the accent reminds me a little bit of a terrible film I watched the last ten minutes of the other day – I think it was called ‘Alligator Alley’. At any rate, it was a bunch of Louisiana-ian people using broom handles and molotov cocktails to fend off uncles and aunts who’d turned into large alligators with attractive glowing purple mouths) and then set to, using the simply delightful fabric my mum picked up from Ikea a few months ago.

IMG_8761
There are different coloured buttons on each side – one pillow is green/pink; the other is orange/blue.

I didn’t want to waste too much fabric on seam allowances, so one side is a fold instead of a seam. Nothing is quite square, but it doesn’t seem to matter too much. Mostly I’m just pleased to have found the fabric, which I lost almost immediately when it first came into my clutches. In fact it was exactly where it should have been. Months of peering under beds and getting up close and personal with the house’s resident dust bunnies to find it were in vain!

IMG_8765

The cushions match the rug in my garret too, so everything is all rather jaunty now. And Rune is happy to have yet more things to rub his cat-grubbiness and utter adorableness off onto.

IMG_8771

IMG_8770

Cats and cushion covers

For one reason and another I have recently ended up making lots of simple cushion covers.

This has pleased Greymalkin, my neighbour’s cat, immensely. (Nb. in real life Gremmie probably has some awful name like “Muffin” or “Snowball”; but when he hangs out with me he gets a noble title and Jellicle status to reflect this.)

Greymalkin

I started with a glance at this youtube tutorial for making very simple cushion covers, then sliced right into my utterly gorgeous feathered fabric. Twenty minutes later I had two exquisite little cushions for Greymalkin to loll on.

20131024_215422-1
Fabric: “Feathers” in olive from Martha Negley’s “Farmington” range.

Last night I was on a bit of a roll having just climbed a mountain, and dug out some scraps and swatches left from when I made the window seat cover to cobble together another cushion cover in a similar vein.

Greymalkin seems to like it!

IMG_8679

IMG_8670 IMG_8674 IMG_8680