This year my mum asked me to knit her a hat for Christmas, to replace one she’d lost, so I sewed her a dress. I also knit her the hat, but wanted to make her something she wouldn’t leave on the train!
The fabric is Liberty “Poppytot” fluffy sweatshirt in which I hot as a remnant about two years ago (half price! What a steal). I already made myself this sweatshirt from it last year and there was thankfully still enough left for a dress.
For the pattern, I used the Grainline Studio Lark Tee as a base, but added darts and length, and altered the neckline largely in line with New Look K6145. I sized up one because of the thickness of the fabric, and also added patch pockets.
I cut this dress out way back in April and quickly got it about three-quarter done. But then my Masters exam started looming so it was put aside. Last week, I did my exam, and a few hours of the bank holiday weekend were fruitfully directed towards completing this glorious garment.
It’s a Named Clothing Reeta dress, in Nani Iro linen which I bought with some reward vouchers from work at John Lewis. I’m pretty delighted that John Lewis has started to stock Nani Iro.
And this dress! It’s so stunning! I’m in love. The weather has been humid and hot and this dress has been a godsend. I love the length, the comfiness, the way it flows about my legs. It’s the perfect summer dress.
My two sewing passions right now are Nani Iro fabrics and Named Clothing patterns.
I bought the pattern for the ubiquitous Named Clothing Inari Tee at the new Ray-Stitch shop a few months back. I want to make at least half a dozen of these tees in Nani Iro double gauze for my summer work wardrobe, but first – a dress!
I added a gathered skirt. In my usual way with these Japanese fabrics, I just used the full width (selvedge to selvedge) to avoid raw edges. It’s such narrow fabric that it just makes sense.
The fabric was from one of my favourite online shops, M is for Make.
I was totally smitten with Named Clothing’s new collection when it recently launched, in particular the Tuuli dress. I’d actually been scouring the Internet for a pattern like the Tuuli for a few months, to dressify some stunning jersey (print: my beloved Hesketh) I had picked up in the summer at the Liberty sale.
I took a day off and set to dressmaking!
I just love this dress. It’s so comfortable and gorgeous and soft and fine, and moves like a dream. But I really do need to get a better sewing machine. Even just having a straight stretch stitch would be a huge improvement.
I feel like using a pompous statement today: it is a truth universally acknowledged that bank holidays were made for sewing.
I made two things on the bank holiday weekend, the second of which was this gorgeous Leini dress from Named Clothing in llama-donkey-pig lawn. I love it!
It was the first pattern I’d made from Named, but the construction, style and fit are great so I think I’ll look into others.
I’ve been hoarding the fabric for over a year. I had two metres but it wasn’t quite enough – there’s a seam up the centre back of the bodice and one of these back bodice panels is upside down. Still, you really can’t tell and it means I have a few potentially useable scraps left over.
I’m a bit addicted to Japanese double gauze, and in combination with this have spent the past few months obsessing over every tiny glimpse of the Cotton + Steel x Rifle Paper Co fabric collection collaboration, Les Fleurs. Under all this pressure, when I saw this incredible floral print at Miss Matatabi I was instantly enchanted.
Clearly a new summer dress was necessary! I drafted the bodice from Simplicity 8523, raised the waist, added a gathered skirt and pockets, and got rid of the pesky facings. Last time I used the blouse pattern was for my Growing Fonder top, and the facings really are annoying. I’m fully a convert to hidden bias tape finishes now.
Anyway, this dress is absolutely great. I love it!
I have an ongoing obsession with Heather Ross’s fabrics. Aside from Liberty it’s about the only fabric I buy compulsively, scouring the four corners of the Internet to buy little scraps of discontinued perfection.
So when The Village Haberdashery announced on instagram that it had a roll of Heather Ross jersey I snapped up 3 metres of it without hesitation.
It’s been really busy for the past few weeks – lots of seeing friends and cultural activities being crammed into my normally desolate schedule in the lead up to my big Canada visit. But somehow in between three social engagements on the Sunday before I flew to Toronto I managed to bash out this Moneta dress.
This is my second Moneta. The first was made out of sweatshirting, and I used that as an excuse for why it is tight. But this one is also tight, so next time I’ll make a bigger size to have a slouchier fit. I altered the neckline into a scoop, but the dress gapes a bit at the front (despite its tightness everywhere else) so next time I’ll make the shoulders narrower.
Howsoever, this dress is still great. I wore it all over Toronto to visit relatives last week and every one of them liked it. My Grannie wants one for her too! I think I might have enough fabric left to make her a boat neck top. But then my beautiful new little cousin ought to have something in this fabric, because she has a matching quilt (see next post)! Perhaps I’ll just need to get more fabric…