I ran out of things to title posts about socks years ago. Please bear with me!
My latest pair of socks was knitted at speed and finished only a few hours before midnight on the day before Mother’s Day.
I can’t actually remember what the yarn is, except that it’s rather nice. I had started a pair of socks several years ago in this yarn (also for my mum) but gave up in despair two-thirds of the way through the first sock when I discovered that errata in the pattern had made it all wrong. So when it came to knitting this, I was dealing with very wobbly yarn, which had been crimped into a sad half-sock for several years. Thankfully blocking has removed the wobbles.
The pattern was made up as I went and the ribbed parts use twisted stitches on the knit stitches (knitted through the back loop) to look fancy and make me frustrated when I’m knitting to a deadline.
My mum likes them! Sockcess.
***My last post about Christmas 2017 crafting! Thanks for bearing with me… ***
I got into macrame in a big way this year for Christmas gifts, thanks to Fanny Zedenius’s inspiring new book, which I happened across at Liberty.
Here are some plant hangers I made:
I got the 4mm cotton rope on etsy, here.
I also caved and got 2.5mm rope from Zedenius’s own shop. It’s basically just really nice string. Here’s what I made with the smaller rope:
And one more plant hanger…
I’ve spent a few years looking for a craft magazine which I actually enjoy. I stumbled across Making last year, and I’m in love! I even bought the back issues so I’ll have a complete collection.
Here are some “petal pouches”, from issue 1: “Flora”. I made these as part of Operation Christmas 2017 in a bit of a production line, but they’ve turned out pretty well.
The first set is made from Nani Iro linen (blue floral – which you may recognise from this favourite dress) and double gauze (white floral).
The second set is from my remaining Martha Negley feathers fabric (you can actually see some matching cushions in the photos, but I mostly made this skirt which I never wear) and Liberty poplin with little pencils. The poplin is great – really crisp and rigid and great to sew, but also thin.
Needless to say I’ve subscribed to Making for another year and can’t wait to see what’s in store! And meanwhile, I hope these petal pouches are loved by their recipients (because if not, I definitely want them back!).
My mum lost a hat I’d made a few years ago (you can see it here) on a train in Italy at some point, so I made her a replacement for Christmas. Luckily I had some yarn left over! It’s long-discontinued Noro Kogarashi yarn. The old hat was a bit greener and greyer and reminded me of the trolls in Frozen. This one is a bit more like a kingfisher, which I think is an improvement.
For Christmas this year I made my wee cousin this sweet little elf hat.
The pattern is Pixielue by Paelas Knits. The instructions, which come translated into English from Norwegian, were a bit befuddling at times but it worked out fine. Paelas does so many more adorable knitting patterns for small people…
The yarn is Rowan “alpaca colour” (made from baby alpaca!) that I picked up half price from The Wool Croft in Abergavenny (and the persimmon skein for the edging and pompom is the same stuff, but was a gift from someone many moons ago).
Just look at these socks:
Why are they so weird? Very badgery, very spirally, very unexpected. The yarn is Rowan Fine Art, which is a sock wool, so presumably other people have had this problem too.
Anyway, I made them for my dad for Christmas, to have a little something under the tree since my main present was experiential (we saw the musical of The Lorax in Toronto!), and he seems to like them just fine.
This year my mum asked me to knit her a hat for Christmas, to replace one she’d lost, so I sewed her a dress. I also knit her the hat, but wanted to make her something she wouldn’t leave on the train!
The fabric is Liberty “Poppytot” fluffy sweatshirt in which I hot as a remnant about two years ago (half price! What a steal). I already made myself this sweatshirt from it last year and there was thankfully still enough left for a dress.
For the pattern, I used the Grainline Studio Lark Tee as a base, but added darts and length, and altered the neckline largely in line with New Look K6145. I sized up one because of the thickness of the fabric, and also added patch pockets.