This year my mum asked me to knit her a hat for Christmas, to replace one she’d lost, so I sewed her a dress. I also knit her the hat, but wanted to make her something she wouldn’t leave on the train!
The fabric is Liberty “Poppytot” fluffy sweatshirt in which I hot as a remnant about two years ago (half price! What a steal). I already made myself this sweatshirt from it last year and there was thankfully still enough left for a dress.
For the pattern, I used the Grainline Studio Lark Tee as a base, but added darts and length, and altered the neckline largely in line with New Look K6145. I sized up one because of the thickness of the fabric, and also added patch pockets.
I made a Breton style top! Now it’s just up to the sun to get a move on and start shining.
I used lovely heavy Japanese knit cotton in olive-gold and white stripes.
The pattern I used was Grainline Studio’s Lark Tee – it’s a great pattern and comes together fast, but as usual I fell between three sizes. I cut the middle one but I think I’d cut the larger size next time, on account of my wide shoulders. I also cropped a few inches off the bottom which I think was a good idea. It’s just the right length. I’m not convinced by 3/4 length sleeves, but they look fine rolled up and that’s how I’m planning on wearing this top anyway. Plus I’ve already managed to get strawberry juice on the inner elbow, which sleeve rolling happily conceals.
No matter – it’s a great top and I hope to wear it lots this summer.
Two sheep posts almost in a row! I hope, dear readers, this does not induce extreme sleepiness in you. On the other hand, if all this sheep sewing has tired me out, I now at least have summer pyjamas to hand.
This is my second pair of Grainline Studio’s brilliant Lakeside Pyjamas. Hard to believe – the first pair was made over two years ago (pre-blog)! I’ve been wearing the first pair a lot recently, and thought it would be nice to mix it up with a new version. In case you’re wondering, version one is in Lizzy House Constellations fabric.
The bias binding tape (as you can see in the photos) was really gross. I usually use nice soft satiny bias tape from John Lewis and it works beautifully. This stuff was from Fabricland and it is stiff and plasticky and has deformed the sheepy double gauze. Sad face!
Also I maybe only bought 3 metres of bias tape, because who ever heard of needing 7 yards of bias tape for one project?! Thankfully the tape was really wide, so I just sliced it in half down the middle, along all three metres of it. In the end I had about 30cm left over.
This project was eked out of the margins of the cutting layout I used for my mum’s Camber dress. Lots of refolding here and there and skimping on seam allowances to get the pieces out.
Despite the bias tape, these pjs are THE BEST. Also, why do Americans spell pyjamas “pajamas”? So weird. Reminds me of “llamas”.
Somewhere on the interwebs I saw a gorgeous Grainline Studio Alder shirt with green tigers all over it – and I HAD TO HAVE ONE.
I’ve used Grainline Studio’s patterns before, to make the lovely Lakeside Pyjamas (pre-blog…), so last weekend I set aside my Rousseau and Locke, printed out the Alder Shirtdress pattern on the back of my mum’s work papers 🙂 and set to.
I made version B, with the frill/peplum, and took about 10 inches off the skirt to make it into a shirt.
It’s hard to describe how completely in love I am with this top. The fabric is soft and a bit stretchy. I feel like a Water Baby wearing it, but with extra tigers.
The wooden buttons are from Liberty and the fabric (Hatbox’s Tigers Stripes) is from M is for Make.